APPLE PIE FILLING
2 Braeburn apples
2 Granny Smith apples
½ cup organic sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp of butter or for dairy free(I use Shed’s Willow Run Soybean Margarine)
1 tbsp Sorghum flour
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1. Make pie crust, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. This recipe makes enough pie crust for the bottom and top of one pie.
2. Peel, core and slice apples into approximately ¼ inch thick slices and put in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the sorghum flour, cornstarch, cinnamon and sugar.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the apples and mix together.
5. Let apples sit for about 30 to 40 minutes in the refrigerator. The sugar will draw out extra moisture from the apples which you can drain off and put in a small sauce pan.
6. Add 1 tbsp of cornstarch to the excess liquid in the sauce pan, mix well with a whisk and heat until the mixture becomes thick.
7. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake pie for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake pie for another 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator; divide the dough into two pieces making one slightly larger than the other. Roll the larger piece out so it will fit the pie pan.
GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST
1 cup white rice flour or brown rice flour
Don't forget ala mode!!